Finally, I can talk about Comic Con! Admittedly, I doubt I’ll ever be able to go myself (and for the sake of my anxiety that’s probably a good thing), but I love the hell out of everything that comes out of SDCC and NYCC every year. It’s always stuff I’m looking forward to: Marvel, Steven Universe, Sherlock, Star Trek, Hannib….American Gods, Star Wars, Harry Potter, the list goes on and on! There’s just so much to talk about. So, instead of doing multiple long posts, which I could do, I’m going to sum everything up in another Quickies. Yes, I know, I just did one, but this is important and I need to talk about my reactions to these before they stop being relevant.
So, without further ado, I give you Quickies 5: San Diego Comic Con 2016 Edition
This is gonna be a long one. Forgive my small nerd rants throughout. This is all stuff I know a lot about.
WARNING: SPOILERS FOR THINGS REVEALED AT SDCC 2016
- Brie Larson is officially confirmed as Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers, to the 800th person to ask me “Isn’t Captain Marvel a dude?”) We got a lead and screenwriters. Now we just need a director (and the rest of the cast, of course). I say Carol gets introduced in Infinity Wars and that’s where her origin will be told. Maybe she and Rhodey will hook up! Who knows? He might be in her movie. They’re a couple in the comics after all. Anything would be better than Wanda and Vision’s awkward flirting in Civil War. Oh! Maybe it will end with a cameo from Kamala. It could lead into her own movie. That’d be awesome! …Wonder who the bad guy will be. Dr. Minerva, maybe? Perhaps another Kree villain? Moonstone?
- Remember Lupita Nyong’o from Force Awakens and The Jungle Book (2016)? She’s in Black Panther now. She’s apparently playing one of the Dora Milaje (his awesome bodyguards), Nakia. If I recall, Nakia was introduced in Black Panther’s 3rd solo comic series written by Christopher Priest back in 1998. She was obsessed with T’Challa and later became a supervillain named Malice. We’ll have to see what happens. Apparently, Michael B Jordan (Fant4stic’s Johnny Storm) is gonna be Erik Killmonger, the bad guy. At least the actor gets a shot at comic book film redemption. Glad they’re not going with Achebe. That guy was freaky! Personally, I want to find out who gets cast as T’Challa’s stepmother, Ramonda, who’s a badass.
- Thor: Ragnarok is filming right now. We get to see what Thor and Bruce were up to during Civil War. Why do I have the feeling it has something to do with Ross that he doesn’t want Tony to know about? Guy’s gonna be pissed once Infinity War hits…unless he finds out during Spider-Man: Homecoming. Oh, and Odin is in it so my previous concerns are forgotten. Yay.
- Speaking of Spider-Man, his villain this time round is apparently The Vulture. That’s new. Also, is it just me or are all the supporting cast for Spidey people of colour? …On the one hand: Yay, importantish characters whose actors who aren’t white and they actually look like high schoolers! Also good because New York has a very diverse population on par with Chicago’s. On the other hand: They’re support for a white protagonist. …I am torn. Relax Aine, baby steps.
- Doctor Strange trailer. It’s better than the first and I love the last clip. The wifi password, “We’re not savages.” Loved it! Also, more Mads Mikkelsen! EEEE!!! He was finally at Comic Con! And it’s official: his character’s name is Kaecilius. Plus, he’s in Star Wars!
- Kurt Russell is officially Star Lord’s father. Sylvester Stallone is also apparently in the film. Here’s hoping the next film lives up to the first.
- Also, love the new logo!
- Daredevil got a 3rd season. Yes! …Now I just gotta finish season 2.
- The trailers for Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders are all awesome. True, the one for Defenders is just a teaser, but they are just filming Iron Fist, it’s gonna take some time to do the next one, even if it is a miniseries. I can’t wait for these to come out. Hell, we only have to wait a bit less than two months for Luke Cage. Need to be finished with Daredevil by then. Iron Fist’s trailer doesn’t give us much, but it does give us a small backstory for Danny so that’s nice for those of us, like me, who know next to nothing about him. I just know he’s Luke’s best friend. …I need to read more Luke Cage and Iron Fist comics. Also, apparently Stick is in Defenders. Imma guess the story will have something to do with The Hand.
- Netflix will not be bringing back Agent Carter due to a rights issue or something like that. I am sad now.
- Ghost Rider will be in SHIELD season 4. Is not played by Nicolas Cage.
- John Barrowman is an amazing Squirrel Girl…Moving on.
- The Wonder Woman trailer came out and it looks amazing! It looks like it’s actually fun! Gal Gadot was the best thing about BVS from what I’ve heard and I can see why. I also like how they’ve changed the setting from WW2 to WW1. Less clashing and comparison with Captain America. I’m not getting my hopes up because of the past performance of this franchise, but I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for it. As such, here’s my new nickname for Wonder Woman: Pleasedontsuckpleasedontsuck-pleasedontsuck. Wonder Woman is also apparently over 75 years old. Up there with Superman, Batman, and Captain America! You go lady!
- The poster’s great too!
- The Suicide Squad trailer…let’s see how the movie does.
- The Justice League trailer. …I do not care.
- The Lego Batman Movie’s trailer. Now that I do care about. Good god, this looks funny without being stupid. Schumacher, take notes! His password is the Adam West theme song. That’s great! Robin, Alfred! It’s hilarious! Can’t wait! …Why does Robin look like Peter Parker?
- Ben Affleck will direct and star in a new Batman movie…just make it about Batman and not anything else. …Please? That’s what you guys are best at.
- Bryan Fuller’s adaptation of ‘American Gods’ looks great just from the trailer. I really want to read this book sometime before the series comes out (I do own it, but I haven’t gotten to it). It looks really interesting. Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite writers and I’m glad I get to see more adaptations of his work. I loved Coraline.
- Star Trek Discovery: set in the Prime timeline, diverse casting, anthology series telling a complete story which mean no reset button in between episodes, and Bryan Fuller, the showrunner of my favourite TV series of all time, at the helm? Sign me up! Though, really CBS? You had to make an entire streaming service just to give us more Star Trek while just putting it on Netflix for everyone else outside of North America? ..I mean I’ll get the service, to do otherwise would mean reviving my old UK Netflix account, because I’m that much of a Bryan Fuller/Star Trek fanatic, but come on! Also, the ship looks good. Now give us a female captain who’s not Psycho Janeway.
- For all you Hannibal fans, T Minus 1 year (or so) and counting until the Amazon streaming rights expire and we can even begin to explore the possibility of our favourite show coming back!
- No Doctor Who this year, but we do get a Sherlock trailer for season 4. Things are a changin and it looks like it’s gonna hurt. Note to self: Have tissues on standby. Gonna need ‘em.
- Also from the BBC (America this time), the trailer for Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. From those who don’t know, it’s based on a humour detective book by ‘Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ creator Douglas Adams about a detective who works based on the idea that everything is interconnected…or something like that. I haven’t actually read the book. …Note to self: put that on my list. My thoughts on the trailer: …I had no idea what was going on but it looked amazing and funny. I’ll watch it!
- New season for all the CW shows! Great! And Supergirl is keeping its main cast despite the move to Vancouver. Yay! Superman will appear too, maybe this time he’ll actually smile. …Now I actually have to catch up with these shows….To the Netflix Account!
- Also, apparently Black Canary’s actress, Katie Cassidy, will return. So, don’t worry about that.
- There are rumours that Matt Ryan might return as Constantine. Yes, please!
- Nickelodeon is making a Legends of the Hidden Temple movie. I’m actually pretty excited for this and hope they get the voice of Olmec to come back. Personally, my favourite part was at the end where they referenced the fact that No One Could Figure out That Damn Monkey Statue! That made me laugh. Seriously, if you were there and the object you were looking for wasn’t in the next room or right there with you, you were dead.
- Hey Arnold! designs for the new movie. They look great and Arnold’s shirt no longer looks like a skirt/kilt.
- New movie from the world of Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. New trailer. Had more stuff. Looks awesome. Can’t wait to see it.
- Also, I’ve since read ‘The Cursed Child’ script. It’s great.
- Rihanna will be playing Marion Crane (AKA Lady who gets killed not even halfway through the movie in the scene everyone remembers) in the fifth and final season of Bates Motel which will be a reimagining of the film Psycho.
- Bates Motel, in my mind, is Hannibal if it had been brought all the way. Both were contemporary prequel reboots of famous horror movies exploring what happened before the events of said films (and consequently the books they were based on) and giving more development to the characters we knew would later be monsters with the final season being a reimagining of the original book. I’d say Hannibal probably took more risks, at least in regards to changing the monster’s love interest from female to male (though, admittedly, I think that was more of a rights issue) and having an increased diversity in the cast (I think, I never actually saw Bates Motel (it’s on Netflix)), both of which are probably why it got cancelled among other more annoying factors (NBC cough cough). Bates Motel has been brought to its natural conclusion: a reimagining of the original film that made its character both famous and feared by all who hear his name, but with the added backstory behind it. Hannibal would have done the same had it been able to reach Silence of the Lambs (though obviously it would not have gone the same way as the books and films as Will is still the love interest and not Clarice). …I went on too long about this, didn’t I?
- Lots of television shows either renewed or cancelled. Some I want to watch eventually (Mr. Robot and Orphan Black), some I don’t (Vampire Diaries and The Walking Dead).
- Legion: FOX’s Marvel TV show…Great! You got what you wanted. Now give Marvel back the rights to Doctor Doom. I don’t even care about the Fantastic Four, just give them back Doom…and Silver Surfer. And Galactus.
- Kong: Skull Island AKA A Kong movie with 3 big Marvel names in lead roles: Captain Marvel, Loki, and Nick Fury. I might go see it.
- Moana will have no love interest. Yes, thank you. Disney, you’re learning.
- The Woods turned out to be a sequel to The Blair Witch Project. I will not go see it because….HAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, Right! Have fun with that.
Bonus: Well, can’t say I didn’t expect what happened with Suicide Squad to happen, but it did. I hoped it wouldn’t, but it did. Wonder Woman now contains my last shred of hope for this franchise. If it doesn’t go well, I’m giving up on DC…at least until The Lego Batman Movie. …Wait, that comes out first, damn it!
Once again, Marvel gets all my money. SAVE US DOCTOR STRANGE!!!
Next Week: …Well, it’s not gonna be Suicide Squad. That’s for sure. I don’t waste my money on shitty movies. …How about Silence! The Musical? You know, that musical parody based on Silence of the Lambs? It’s playing in Chicago through next weekend at Cornservatory Chicago. I hear it’s good.
…I just realised that there’s two movies in November I’m holding out for. Curse my Geekiness and Hollywood validating its relevance in this era of Nerd Movies (c. 2008-Present.)! It’s gonna kill my bank account! …Eh, I don’t care. I’m happy.
(Photo Via Geek Host)